My Funny Valentines

Last week I decided to get creative and make some Valentines. I began making home-made cards a few years ago; I scrapbook and card making is a natural off-shoot of that because it uses many of the same tools and techniques. One of the things I like best about making home-made cards is that I can customize them to suit the styles and personalities of their recipients.

I sat down with my supplies to create. I stared at pink paper and then red. I looked at heart shaped stencils and cabbage rose stickers. After a while, I started cutting and folding and pasting. I finished one card, and then the next. I layered solid papers against patterned and considered the effect of buttons, brads, and ribbon. Soon, I had a nice little pile of cards. There was just one little thing. While I had made several cards, none of them were very “Valentine-y.” Maybe it was the mild, spring-like temperatures inspiring me, but my creations were all bright and cheery, not at all romantic or sentimental. I have nothing against Valentine’s Day personally but it’s never been a favorite holiday of mine, and hearts and roses are not really my card-making style. And while I do love red and pink, these colours ended up being the background for retro animals and folksy flowers. I did manage to make one important Valentine (for my sweetie), and while I may not have gotten inspired in time to send Valentines back East, I think some folks at home can expect a cheerful note card in their mailbox in the near future.

Whether your cards and greetings were glitzy and glam or homespun and heartwarming, I hope you had a wonderful Valentine’s Day. Remember to be good to your sweetie every day, not just February 14!

“Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.”
-Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm listening! I really appreciate when you take the time to comment, and I read every one!