This and That...



What a great week! Although Kitimat's run of sun ended a few days ago, it's still incredibly spring-like! Today when I had the dogs out I took a walk around the yard and discovered that my rhubarb is popping up in the garden! I don't care what the groundhog says, the rhubarb knows when spring is on its way!

As you can see above, I received some pictures from the fishing expedition I blogged about on Wednesday. The first photo was taken during my "extreme fishing" experience! The second photo is just me by the river, but it shows off my pretty pink fishing rod!

I'm almost finished knitting my first pair of socks and I can't wait to tell you all about it! I also visited a new wool shop in Terrace and picked up some very pretty red sock wool and a spool of silk soy yarn that may find its way into mittens. So I am all set! They also had a glitter crochet hook which I am so buying if I ever take up crochet!!

On the kitchen front, I've been searching through my recipes old and new. I always love to cook but every so often I get the urge to cook up a storm. In anticipation of this I went grocery shopping the other day and stocked up on all my favorite ingredients. I started off today with beef strogonoff and spider cookies. Tomorrow I'm going to make a big pot of cabbage soup and perhaps a sweet potato sauce to serve over whole wheat pasta. And sometime this week I'm going to try a new recipe for upside down shepard's pie and beef turnovers.

My dairy intolerance can make cooking a challenge, especially home style favorites like beef strogonoff and sweets. Over the years I've discovered some great substitutes. So I prepared the stogonoff with soy sour cream and the spider cookies with soy milk. When I first stopped eating dairy about 10 years ago it was a lot more challenging to find substitutes; they either didn't exist or they were incredibly expensive for very small servings. So it's been nice to have more options.
I've even discovered a line of soy yogourt that is sold in single serving containers for a price that is very similiar to regular yogourt.

The beautiful weather has also made it easier (and more pleasant!) to get out for walks, something that Molly and I have both been appreciating! I'm hoping to get both of us for a few strolls this weekend!

Between knitting and cooking and walking, it's gearing up to be a busy weekend! I hope that you have a great weekend, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm listening! I really appreciate when you take the time to comment, and I read every one!