The Day the Bulls Came to Town

While most people would not consider Cape Breton to be a raging metropolis, it certainly was full of activities.  There's always something to look forward to, something going on.  Whether it's Celtic Colours in the Autumn or Rock the Dock in the Summer, just when you start to feel bored, an event comes along.  And so, one of the biggest adjustments for me when we moved to Kitimat, a smaller, more remote area, was the lack of social buzz.


I will admit that as I get to know Kitimat, this is actually quite an active town with a fair bit going on.  There is a concert series, an active theater group, hockey games, and more.  Coming up we have Canada Day, which is celebrated in a big way, the Dragon Boat Regatta, and The Dave Saunders Memorial Hill climb.  These are all stand-out events.  But one event, though fairly new, has reached dizzying heights of popularity.  This event is Bull-o-Rama, and it took place last Saturday.


Bull-o-Rama is a bull riding event where riders attempt to stay on a bucking bull for 8 seconds for an award of $10,000, a silver buckle, and a set of prize spurs.  And last years' inaugural event was a sell-out.  The whole town was there!  I attended with a friend, and we were amazed at the line winding around the arena, the pool, and towards the Overwaitea grocery store.  I know that if you aren't familiar with our town, it's hard to get perspective, but trust me, this was a LONG line.  Everyone had a wonderful time, and everyone was thrilled to hear that the event was returning in 2010. 


It seems that the whole town was at Bull-o-Rama 2010, also, although I missed the line since a few of us decided to have dinner beforehand.  This worked to our advantage since it had been raining intermittently throughout the day.  We got some great seats in the Beer Garden, and settled in for a night at the rodeo!  We had a great time.  Everyone wore their Western best, including me (although my duds were quite subdued compared to some of the fancy outfits being modelled).  Spirits were high, and spirits were also for sale, and the beer garden proved to be quite popular, making it a great place for people watching.


During the "half-time" there was a performance by the Coppertown Clown and his pack of trained rescue dogs, The Muttley Crew.  I cheered very enthusiastically for them, as I am a fan of all dogs, and rescues in particular.  


After the rodeo there was a dance featuring the music of country singer Rick Stavely, and we had a great time.  It's been forever since I went out dancing and it was so much fun; the band, and the DJ in between acts, played tons of country western favorites.  I can't remember the last time I danced to "Boot Scootin' Boogie;" it was long enough that I no longer remembered the line dancing moves (insert sigh of relief "here").  By the time the band played "Achy Breaky Heart" my feet were tired from dancing and my face was sore from laughing.  It was a night out I didn't even realize I needed, and I don't think I was the only one who felt that way.  Since Saturday, so many people have remarked what a great time they had, and how much they wished we had more events like it.  


I hope you have as much fun this weekend as I did last Saturday!!  Have a great weekend, and I'll see you on Monday. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great place to be! It has been nice to learn a bit more about your part of the world-thanks!

    Best wishes to you too for a fabulous weekend,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun was had by all in Kitimat... I must admit I had to google map it and I AM a BC girl. I always think of it as over there past Whistler. I am constantly amazed by how big and diverse our province is!

    ReplyDelete

I'm listening! I really appreciate when you take the time to comment, and I read every one!