I Want to Ride My Bike!

As you know, Nesty is about pursuing a honeyed life through simplified living.  Sometimes, the things I can do to make my home's life simply sweet are obvious; cook healthy, delicious meals, practice a "greener" lifestyle, and  embrace time-tested crafts like sewing and knitting.  Other times, however, the simple pleasures of life take me by surprise.


Such was the case today, when, for the first time in well over a decade, I rode a bike.


I was getting ready for a walk, just tying on my sneakers when my husband mentioned that his bike was back from the shop if I'd like to use it.  I stopped.  In all the time this bike has lived in our home, it never occurred to me to ride it.  It was his bike.  Now, in retrospect, I realize how silly that was; he'd never said I couldn't ride it, it was just one of those things. I made a decision.


He helped me get it outside, and after a rather embarrassing moment when I attempted to ride it with the handle bars turned around 360 degrees ("Why are the brakes on the wrong side?" I asked as I careened out of control) I did a practice run on the street in front of our house.  Soon, I was ready to hit the road (or the paths, as the case may be).  With my husband's advice to stick close to home on my first run, I headed out.


It is true what they say; it really did just all come back.  Not just the skill, but the elation that comes with soaring effortlessly along asphalt, the wheels making that wonderful buzzing sound.  I veered slightly further from home than I probably should have,  but it was just so wonderful.  I took turns experimentally, and made a game out of finding my way home.  When one path led to a street instead of another path, I looked both ways and then, tentatively, made a turn in the street and headed back the other way.  Success!


I cruised around for a little while longer, and then made my way home.  As I turned up our street, I felt muscles I hadn't heard from in a while.  I'm sure I'll be a little achy tomorrow.  But it was so worth it, and I can't wait to do it again.  In fact, I'm thinking about checking out bikes when we go to Terrace tomorrow, so we can enjoy biking together.


Thanks for stopping by!  See you on Friday!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I have been searching for the perfect cruiser for about a year. I probably shouldn't be so particular and just get one and get riding.

    Glad you enjoyed your ride and hope you find a great bike of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not been on a bike in over five years... It is almost time.

    ReplyDelete

I'm listening! I really appreciate when you take the time to comment, and I read every one!