Jelly Rolls and Candy Bars and Layer Cakes, Oh My!!!

Those of you who don't quilt probably thought this was a post about desserts!  Not today (although after typing that title I am a bit hungry)!

The quilters in my readership no doubt knew right away what I would be posting about.  Don't get all excited, I'm not a quilter...yet.  At this point my knowledge of quilting is quite limited, however, a lack of knowledge has never stopped me from pursuing a new hobby in the past!  I enjoy sewing, and I've been admiring quilted projects for quite some time, so I've decided to give it a try.

Luckily, I have a great distance education teacher (my cousin Ainsley from Pattycake Manners.)  Ainsley is a truly talented quilter, and pictures of her creations were a big part of what motivated me to want to try quilting.  She's been terrific, advising me on supplies and teaching me the proper terminology.  On her advice, I am the proud owner of a "begin to quilt kit", which contains all the basics I need to get started (a rotary cutter, mat, pins, thimbles, needles, and safety pins)!  I also got lucky and inherited a large cutting mat from a friend who is doing a pre-move purge.  

Now all I need is a "jelly-roll;"  a roll of coordinating pre-cut strips of quilting fabric which I will use to create my first project.  I'm heading to town this weekend and I really hope I can find one there, because I'm like a kid with new toys waiting to try out my new quilting kit! I really don't want to wait for an online order (although I must admit some of those pre-cuts are mighty pretty...especially the Moda and Michael Miller designs!).

I'll be sure to let you know when I get started!  In the meantime, how many of you quilt?  What online resources would you recommend to a beginner?

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck quilting Kim. I don't have a lot of experience quilting other than piecing them and adding a few stitches to the annual 4-H quilt at ProShow. My experience has been with Seminole Patchwork. Back in the 80's I taught a course at CB School of Crafts. At that time quilted apparel was really big so my students made jackets, vests, purses and sewed the quilted strips on the hems of their skirts. I even made a few yokes for dresses. It is a form of strip quilting and can be a lot of fun.Check out images on Google. It's a great way to learn piecing and lining up seams etc.
    Anyway, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I always plunge right into a new hobby too! I took 2 quilting classes about 3 years ago and made a quilt with Amy Butler fabrics for our living room, and then I have a quilt almost finished for my mom and the top done for a quilt for my Dad. I really have to get those finished. And I believe I have some 'jelly rolls' in my stash too! I am sure that you will LOVE your new hobby!!
    Have a great weekend! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete

I'm listening! I really appreciate when you take the time to comment, and I read every one!